Connect with us

Trending news

Fuel Subsidy: Give Tinubu A Bit Of Time, Gov Sani Tells Nigerians

Published

on

Amid the pain caused by the fuel subsidy removal, Governor Uba Sani has pleaded with Nigerians to be patient with President Bola Tinubu’s government.

He made the call to Newsmen on Thursday. According to him, the President and the governors are taking preventative measures and adopting an approach to lessen the impact of the fuel subsidy removal.

“I agree, there was a fuel subsidy but because of the level of corruption involved, it has never moved Nigeria forward and of course, in fighting corruption, you have to believe that corruption will fight you back.

“I am going to urge the Nigerian Labour Congress, TUC, and all other trade union leaders to give President Asiwaju a bit of time; he has good plans, and we, the governors, have good plans for everyone. So, we have to be very careful in the way we approach these issues so that we don’t make promises that we can’t fulfill,” he said.

The NLC, TUC, and all labor unions, according to Sani, are fully involved in what the government is doing and are aware of the challenges the nation is facing.

“We, as the governor, have been taken by the level unions at the state levels. Mr President is someone who believes in making sure he carries everyone along.

“The approach here is to look at this issue from a bigger picture and that is what President Asiwaju is doing, and I have no doubt in my mind,” he said.

The governor added that the most marginalised people in society ought to be given the opportunity to participate in labour agreement decision-making.

“When we are looking at how we solve this problem of fuel subsidy and how it affects the economy of the people generally, we have to talk about people that can be on the table.

“I am talking about people that are vulnerable, underserved, the market women, the farmers, people living with disabilities – they are also affected; they go to the same markets; they use the same transportation; and they constitute about 90 percent of the population,” he stated.

According to him, we must consider everyone as a whole in order for the nation to resolve this issue.

The National Economic Council (NEC) earlier on Thursday urged the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) to shelve their planned industrial action.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police Probe US Businessman’s Sudden Demise in Lagos Hotel

Published

on

– US-based businessman Onyejekwe Izuchukwu found dead in Lagos hotel
– Police investigation underway to determine cause of death
– Autopsy to be performed to reveal more details

The Lagos State Police Command has launched an investigation into the sudden death of Onyejekwe Izuchukwu, a 62-year-old US-based businessman. Izuchukwu’s body was discovered in his hotel room in Ikoyi on June 9, 2024.

According to a source, Izuchukwu had been staying at the hotel since June 6, engaging in business activities. Tragically, his lifeless body was found by a cleaner on the floor of his room.

The hotel’s management reported the incident to the police, who have commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Izuchukwu’s death. A doctor was called to the scene and confirmed the businessman’s demise.

Izuchukwu was a prominent figure in the oil and gas industry, having served as President of Bits and Drilling Tools, a division of Schlumberger. His death has sent shockwaves through the industry.

“The command has commenced an investigation into the case,” said Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin. “Izuchukwu’s corpse has been deposited in a morgue in Ikeja for autopsy.”

 

Continue Reading

News

Lagos Govt Opens Emergency Center To Curb Cholera Outbreak

Published

on

– Lagos activates emergency centre to combat cholera outbreak
– UNICEF urges provision of clean water and sanitation facilities
– 350 suspected cases reported with 17 confirmed and 15 deaths

Lagos State Government has activated its Public Health Emergency Operations Centre to tackle the cholera outbreak. The centre will coordinate responses to the increasing number of severe gastroenteritis cases across the state.

According to Prof. Akin Abayomi, Commissioner for Health, the laboratory investigation has confirmed Cholera sub-type O-1, associated with more severe disease. He urged residents to adhere strictly to precautionary measures to prevent further spread.

Meanwhile, UNICEF has called on the state government to provide high-standard water and sanitation facilities to communities. Celine Lafoucrier, Chief of UNICEF Lagos Field Office, emphasized the need for strengthened healthcare systems to respond to outbreaks.

Lafoucrier stated, “Addressing cholera outbreaks requires a deliberate focus on providing high-standard water and sanitation facilities.” She also stressed the importance of community engagement strategies to halt transmission.

The state government has confirmed 350 suspected cases of cholera in 29 wards across multiple LGAs, with 17 confirmed cases and 15 deaths. However, the number of new cases is subsiding in previously affected areas due to interventions and surveillance efforts.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest News

Copyright © 2017 RoamanNews