Connect with us

News

Senate screens 14, tackles ministerial nominees over age, tax

Published

on

The Senate, on Monday, commenced the screening of the 28 ministerial nominees forwarded to it by President Bola Tinubu last week.

14 out of the 28 ministerial nominees were screened by the Senate at a session presided over by the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio.

They were Abubakar Kyari (Borno), Abubakar Momoh (Edo), former governor Nyesom Wike (Rivers), John Enoh (Cross River), former governor Abubakar Badaru (Jigawa), Ambassador Yusuf Maitama Tuggar (Bauchi) and Hon. Nkiruka Onyejeocha (Abia).

Others were Bello Muhammad (Sokoto), Prof Joseph Utsev (Benue), Senator Abubakar Danladi (Taraba), Barr. Uju-Ken Ohaneye (Anambra), Hon. Olubunmi Tunji Ojo (Ondo), Betta Edu (Cross River) and Imaan Sulaiman Ibrahim (Nasarawa).

While some of the nominees had easy passage and were asked to ‘bow and go’ without much questioning, others, however, were drilled by senators.

At the plenary, nominees like Danladi, Utsev, Ohaneye, Muhammed faced a bit of drilling by the lawmakers.

Three out of the seven other nominees grilled during the session were confronted with issues bordering on alleged age falsification, forgery and perjury.

The three affected nominees were Senator Abubakar Danladi from Taraba State, Bello Muhammad from Sokoto State and Prof. Joseph Utsev from Benue State.

Specifically, Danladi was taken up on an alleged court judgment banning him from holding public office for 10 years.

Though he spiritedly denied the allegation, the Senate President ruled that the issue would be looked into at the stage of confirmation.

There had been social media posts clamouring for Danladi’s disqualification over an alleged Supreme Court ruling that barred him from holding public offices for 10 years.

However, when asked to respond to the allegations, Danladi was it was not true.

He was, thereafter, asked to take a bow being a former senator by the tradition of the National Assembly.

On his part, Bello Muhammad from Sokoto State was taken up on his secondary school certificate.

The nominee, as observed by Senator Jimoh Ibrahim( APC Ondo South), submitted a secondary school certificate that does not tally with the grades contained in his resume.

Muhammed, in his defence, told the Senate that the certificate that has the grades stated in his resume was not attached but it would be provided later.

The Senate President, in his remarks, said, “Mr Nominee, you will have to make available the certificate that has the grades stated in your resume. Forward it to the secretariat as it would be needed at the confirmation stage.”

For the Benue nominee, Prof. Utsev, his resume stating that he started primary school at the age of three and finished at the age of nine, was questioned.

The nominee, in his certificate, stated that he was born in 1980 and finished primary school in 1989.

The error was spotted by Lagos lawmaker, Senator Tokunbo Abiru, who stated that something must have been missing.

The Senate President reiterated that all issues of infractions on certificates submitted by the affected nominees would be thoroughly looked into at the stage of confirmation.

After answering questions about what he would do if made the Minister of Water Resources in the area of dams, Utsev was asked to take a bow and go.

Though the Ondo nominee, Hon Olubunmi Tunji -Ojo, was taken up by Senator Sadiq Umar ( APC Kwara North), on why he did his national youth service at the age of 38, his clarification was accepted by the Senate.

The nominee, who was born in 1982 and served when he was 38, explained that he finished university in the United Kingdom in 2005 under the age of 30, making him do the compulsory National Youth Service in 2020 after returning to Nigeria.

Ohaneye was also questioned about tax returns but she clarified that she was into philanthropy work which had excused her from tax payment.

The Senate President told them all to bow and go while a decision would be taken on them at the confirmation stage amongst the lawmakers.

Meanwhile, seven out of the 14 ministerial nominees that were screened by the lawmakers were told to ‘bow and leave.

’Take a ‘bow and leave’ is a term used by lawmakers to accord respect and honour to former senators, federal House of Representatives members, and members of state assemblies.

The APC acting National Chairman, Abubakar Kyari, being a former senator, was simply asked to take a bow and go.

Wike, who is the only member of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party on the ministerial list, also enjoyed the kingly treatment.

Addressing the Senate, Wike said, “I thank Mr President for nominating me. I believe, knowing how hungry Mr President is to solve the problems of Nigeria, we have no choice but to give him that required support. And I can assure you, if I am confirmed in whatever capacity, Mr President will not regret nominating me.”

The Senate President, thereafter, told him to take a bow and leave.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police Probe US Businessman’s Sudden Demise in Lagos Hotel

Published

on

– US-based businessman Onyejekwe Izuchukwu found dead in Lagos hotel
– Police investigation underway to determine cause of death
– Autopsy to be performed to reveal more details

The Lagos State Police Command has launched an investigation into the sudden death of Onyejekwe Izuchukwu, a 62-year-old US-based businessman. Izuchukwu’s body was discovered in his hotel room in Ikoyi on June 9, 2024.

According to a source, Izuchukwu had been staying at the hotel since June 6, engaging in business activities. Tragically, his lifeless body was found by a cleaner on the floor of his room.

The hotel’s management reported the incident to the police, who have commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Izuchukwu’s death. A doctor was called to the scene and confirmed the businessman’s demise.

Izuchukwu was a prominent figure in the oil and gas industry, having served as President of Bits and Drilling Tools, a division of Schlumberger. His death has sent shockwaves through the industry.

“The command has commenced an investigation into the case,” said Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin. “Izuchukwu’s corpse has been deposited in a morgue in Ikeja for autopsy.”

 

Continue Reading

News

Lagos Govt Opens Emergency Center To Curb Cholera Outbreak

Published

on

– Lagos activates emergency centre to combat cholera outbreak
– UNICEF urges provision of clean water and sanitation facilities
– 350 suspected cases reported with 17 confirmed and 15 deaths

Lagos State Government has activated its Public Health Emergency Operations Centre to tackle the cholera outbreak. The centre will coordinate responses to the increasing number of severe gastroenteritis cases across the state.

According to Prof. Akin Abayomi, Commissioner for Health, the laboratory investigation has confirmed Cholera sub-type O-1, associated with more severe disease. He urged residents to adhere strictly to precautionary measures to prevent further spread.

Meanwhile, UNICEF has called on the state government to provide high-standard water and sanitation facilities to communities. Celine Lafoucrier, Chief of UNICEF Lagos Field Office, emphasized the need for strengthened healthcare systems to respond to outbreaks.

Lafoucrier stated, “Addressing cholera outbreaks requires a deliberate focus on providing high-standard water and sanitation facilities.” She also stressed the importance of community engagement strategies to halt transmission.

The state government has confirmed 350 suspected cases of cholera in 29 wards across multiple LGAs, with 17 confirmed cases and 15 deaths. However, the number of new cases is subsiding in previously affected areas due to interventions and surveillance efforts.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest News

Copyright © 2017 RoamanNews