Connect with us

News

Court Rejects Bail Application Of BRT Driver Who Rammed Into Train

Published

on

An Ikeja High Court has refused the bail application of the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) driver, Oluwaseun Osibanjo, who allegedly caused grievous harm and involuntary manslaughter by running into a moving train.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Justice Oyindamola Ogala gave the ruling on Friday in Lagos.

Ogala in her ruling, held that the defendant’s health was stable after spending seven weeks in the Intensive Care Unit and discharged to face trial.

Ogala ruled that the defendant could continue to receive care in custody.

According to her, the medical director of the custodial center was the only authorised person to issue a medical report that indicated the need for the defendant to get external medical care.

She said: “The law is well settled to the effect that when in detention or custody the responsibility of affording the applicant access to proper medical facilities rests with those in whose custody he is, invariably the prison authorities.

“It is pertinent to state that though the applicant has placed before the court an exhibit (medical report) showing his state of health, same indicates that the defendant had stayed in the hospital for a total of seven weeks and has been discharged from the ICU and fit for trial.

“The defendant has also not shown that the correctional centre does not have the required facilities to take adequate care of him.

“The court in its considered view finds that at this time, the instant case does not warrant the exercise of its discretion in favour of granting the defendant bail.

“The defendant’s application for bail is hereby refused.”

Earlier, the Defence Counsel, Mr. Lekan Egberongbe, prayed to the court to grant Osibanjo bail to receive medical care.

Egberongbe said the defendant was an outstanding staff of Lagos state.

“My lord, the defendant has promised the court that he will not jump bail, escape upon release or interfere with the investigation.

“We pray the court to grant bail to the defendant,” he said.

The Director of Public Prosecution, Dr. Babajide Martins, however, urged the court to refuse Osibanjo bail.

Martins argued that the defendant was a flight risk.

He said “My lord, the witness may be scared of the weight of sentences the charges against him carry.

“Moreover, there are several witnesses against him and he may likely interfere with the investigation if granted bail.

“We hereby urge this honorable court to refuse the bail of the defendant,” he said.

NAN reports that two witnesses had on May 26 testified against Osinbajo.

The defendant is standing trial on a 16-count bordering on involuntary manslaughter and previous harm, preferred against him by the state government.

The offences contravened Sections Sections 224 and 245 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State Criminal, 2015.

The case was adjourned until Oct. 20 for continuation of trial.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Police Probe US Businessman’s Sudden Demise in Lagos Hotel

Published

on

– US-based businessman Onyejekwe Izuchukwu found dead in Lagos hotel
– Police investigation underway to determine cause of death
– Autopsy to be performed to reveal more details

The Lagos State Police Command has launched an investigation into the sudden death of Onyejekwe Izuchukwu, a 62-year-old US-based businessman. Izuchukwu’s body was discovered in his hotel room in Ikoyi on June 9, 2024.

According to a source, Izuchukwu had been staying at the hotel since June 6, engaging in business activities. Tragically, his lifeless body was found by a cleaner on the floor of his room.

The hotel’s management reported the incident to the police, who have commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Izuchukwu’s death. A doctor was called to the scene and confirmed the businessman’s demise.

Izuchukwu was a prominent figure in the oil and gas industry, having served as President of Bits and Drilling Tools, a division of Schlumberger. His death has sent shockwaves through the industry.

“The command has commenced an investigation into the case,” said Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin. “Izuchukwu’s corpse has been deposited in a morgue in Ikeja for autopsy.”

 

Continue Reading

News

Lagos Govt Opens Emergency Center To Curb Cholera Outbreak

Published

on

– Lagos activates emergency centre to combat cholera outbreak
– UNICEF urges provision of clean water and sanitation facilities
– 350 suspected cases reported with 17 confirmed and 15 deaths

Lagos State Government has activated its Public Health Emergency Operations Centre to tackle the cholera outbreak. The centre will coordinate responses to the increasing number of severe gastroenteritis cases across the state.

According to Prof. Akin Abayomi, Commissioner for Health, the laboratory investigation has confirmed Cholera sub-type O-1, associated with more severe disease. He urged residents to adhere strictly to precautionary measures to prevent further spread.

Meanwhile, UNICEF has called on the state government to provide high-standard water and sanitation facilities to communities. Celine Lafoucrier, Chief of UNICEF Lagos Field Office, emphasized the need for strengthened healthcare systems to respond to outbreaks.

Lafoucrier stated, “Addressing cholera outbreaks requires a deliberate focus on providing high-standard water and sanitation facilities.” She also stressed the importance of community engagement strategies to halt transmission.

The state government has confirmed 350 suspected cases of cholera in 29 wards across multiple LGAs, with 17 confirmed cases and 15 deaths. However, the number of new cases is subsiding in previously affected areas due to interventions and surveillance efforts.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Latest News

Copyright © 2017 RoamanNews